Winning the mission to balance screen time and life
Over the past decade our families have been swept up by a screen tsunami. Children and adults are walking around with screens in our bags and backpacks, our pockets, and our palms. We are always “turned on”, and constantly “connected”. But neuroscientists are discovering that the continuous connection is rewiring our brains – and the new neural circuitry is not functioning as well as the old ones.
One group that is particularly affected by the internet invasion is our sons. Games are overtaking many boys’ lives, impacting their sleep and their health, their relationships, their academic experiences, and their wellbeing.
This presentation is designed to help parents and their
gamers children understand why screens and games are so much fun, and how they can enjoy them in healthy, balanced ways so that the other missions parts of their lives can be as successful as their advancement through the levels of their favourite game.
Presentation participants will:
- Discover how to know if they have a serious gaming “problem” or not
- Gain insight into why games are so compelling for teens (and even for grown-ups)
- Find out how games affect brains, sleep, learning, memory, relationships, and health
- Explore the three GREAT DECEPTIONS that games teach our children
- Work through effective processes to help set limits around games – that work for the whole family
Parents, caregivers, teachers, and students who participate in this presentation will walk away with:
- A clear understanding of how screens and games are affecting them and their families
- The tools required to have positive, effective conversations about games
- The skills to establish appropriate limits together so gaming is no longer a source of conflict in the home
- A happier home and family
This presentation is ideal for any parent or caregiver who is struggling to get screen time right with their sons. Even though the main focus is gaming, parents of children who don’t game, but still spend WAAAY too much time on screens (such as with Social Media) will also benefit from participating.
Teachers will find the topic and the insights helpful.
Even the boys themselves enjoy the presentation. It can provide a platform for helpful, positive conversations between parent/caregiver and child about getting gaming right.
The presentation is designed to take approximately one hour. Additional content can be provided to extend the presentation if required. It is strongly recommended that a Q&A session follow the presentation.
We think we’re doing the right thing by our kids – but so often we unintentionally make things worse.
In this session, Justin takes you from confusion to clarity. Combing through the past several decades of parenting research and literature, Justin will share the three essential keys to get to the heart of raising a happy child and creating a connected family.
Based on his book, What Your Child Needs From You, Justin will share:
How to build a strong connection with your children
The key to creating a strong connection to your child is being emotionally present. You’ll learn how to really be present in a busy world. This could be the single most important key to creating a high level of success and well being in your child.
How to really understand your child
You’ll discover the secrets to really understand your child’s emotional world. Learn proven and practical strategies that will increase your child’s emotional security and feelings of worth, and help them regulate their emotions more easily.
Proven discipline strategies that teach
Make life easier for yourself and your child by learning a whole new way of teaching him/her the best way to act. No more resorting to threats, bribes or rewards just simple, proven ways to teach good ways to behave.
- Solutions to the parenting problems that are driving you crazy
- Effective discipline strategies where you can stop being the drill sergeant
- A better relationship with your children (and other relationships will get better too!)
- Better understanding of your child’s emotional world
- A happier home where everyone looks forward to being together.
Teenagers test and try us in the most inconvenient of ways. Many of them become secretive, or moody. They want to be with friends more than family. And they seem to have no energy for helping, but endless capacity for arguing, negotiating, or making themselves scarce.
Then there are the scary issues:
Are they drinking?
Are they taking drugs?
Are they having sex – or sexting? (Hell, I don’t even want them holding hands!)
Are they going to finish school?
And how do I motivate them to do anything?
In this presentation, Dr Justin Coulson will help parents understand:
- Exactly why teenagers act the way they do, and how to get more out of them than a grunt or complaint
- The stages of teen development that make all the difference
- What to do when you find out that news that you really, really didn’t want to believe
- How to really understand your teen – and how to help your teen really understand you
- Why teenagers are actually pretty awesome – even if they’re a little hard to motivate sometimes
- How to make the teenage years some of the best years of your life – and theirs
- Parents and teachers who attend this presentation will experience:
- A deeper understanding of teen development
- An enhanced relationship with their child
- Effective boundary setting and discipline strategies that are age-appropriate for their teenagers
- Solutions to the parenting problems that are driving them crazy and causing sleepless nights and anxiety
- A happier home (or classroom)
Everyone wants their family to be happy. But so many things get in the way. The usual suspects include work stress, commitments, and our children’s challenging behaviour. But some of the less obvious obstacles include our habits and expectations, a reactive (rather than pro-active) approach, and even a lack of clarity around what a happy family is and does. As a result, families often feel (or are) fragmented, stressful, and out of control.
This workshop equips parents with a fresh way of proactively developing the habits that will strengthen their family, combining cutting-edge insights from the positive psychology arena, and classic psychological research underpinning relationships, parenting, and personal choices.
21 Days to a Happier Family gives parents scientifically validated suggestions for making their family happier than ever, starting today!
Parents who attend 21 Days to a Happier Family, will:
- Understand how their habits are creating their current family environment
- Learn the psychological principles that underpin personal and family happiness
- Experience insights that will genuinely impact on their family’s happiness and functionality (for the better)
because the presentation will:
- Provide specific examples of parents who are getting it right
- Speak in language that makes sense, with stories and research combined in an engaging, interactive, and fun style
- Offer 10 suggestions for making families happier, so parents can choose ideas that feel right for them (with another 11 suggestions in the book!)